Such a Monday
Posted on December 3rd, 2012
- Woke up at 2:30 AM to Pea climbing in bed with us. Kicked Pea out of bed, which led to (her) 2:30 AM tantrum, in which I have vague recollections of threatening to take away her plush two-toed sloth. It was that or I’d be throwing the tantrum.
- Unpleasant 7 AM interaction with Pea, to get her ready for school. (I realize in this, at least for now, I am blessed in that it’s rare she fights me this much.)
- Ran a few minutes late for school. (Though later than we ordinarily arrived, every other parent seemed to be lagging behind, too. I warned Pea’s teacher that she was a bit cranky, and was told that a lot of the parents had been saying that.
- Spent a moment appreciating that I am not a kindergarten teacher.
- Too much screwing around on Twitter, not enough work done.
- Car making weird noise. In a one-car family, this is a panic attack by itself.
- Playdate cancelled due to illness (other child’s family).
- Lost wallet (discovered in checkout line at grocery store with Pea in tow, and while shlepping laptop bag) and then found wallet (sitting on the passenger’s seat of my car). I’m glad I found it, but that panic attack took a few hours off my lifespan. Also, going back out to the car and then going back in doesn’t sound that bad, except Pea was hungry, I was cranky, and my back was tweaking.
- Back went out while putting groceries in car. Of course!
- Mood so bad that I couldn’t stand listening to holiday music in the car.
On the positive side:
- The grocery clerk rang up and bagged all my stuff while I ran out to the car to look for my wallet, so that all we had to do was show back up and pay.
- A little girl in Pea’s class walked by me and said, “You look beautiful.” I know five-year-olds lie a lot, but I’ll take it. Related: plan to always wear red lipstick.
- I have a hot pad.
- And Vicodin.
- And Flexeril.
- I’m not calling anyone to cancel cards and/or the Zoo, OMSI, and Audubon to request new cards.
- The Playmobil Christmas order is due to arrive today. We’ll be starting the Advent* thing a couple of days late, but hey! Free shipping and it was 20% off via Playmobil USA.
- This article about the dangers of copyediting, care of the Honourable Husband. (Please note any copy errors in this post may be blamed on the Vicodin and Flexeril.)
- And this one about female poses on fantasy novel covers, care of Jennifer at Urban Hoedown.
Yes, we’re atheists. Why Advent? It was a unilateral decision on my part. Why? I can give you lots of justifications: teaching time and season, patience, cultural literacy…but really? I have an advent candle holder and the appropriately colored candles. And I like Advent. As for the rest of the liturgical year, not so much.
[Deleted: huge Vicodin-fueled paragraph about why I like Maundy Thursday second best in the liturgical calendar. I can save it for spring.]